When your loved one dies, assets titled in that person’s name will likely pass to the beneficiaries according to the terms of that person’s will. Probate is a legal proceeding under the jurisdiction and supervision of the Probate Court in the decedent’s county of residence. The probate process consists of the following steps:
· Probate Court appoints an executor
· Executor gathers and values the assets of the deceased,
· Executor notifies and pays creditors, pays court costs and administration expenses
· Executor files tax returns and pays outstanding taxes
· Executor files inventory and accounting reports with the Probate Court
· Executor distributes the remaining assets to the intended beneficiaries
The probate process typically takes anywhere from 4 to 18 months. We have the experience to guide you through these steps and help you manage the estate effectively during this very difficult and emotional time.
With Offices in Madison, WI and Evansville, WI, the attorneys at the Wilson Law Group assist clients with Estate & Business Planning, Probate & Trust Administration, Elder Law and Medicaid Planning throughout Southern Wisconsin including Verona, Middleton, Sun Prairie, Cross Plains, Oregon, Black Earth, Janesville, Jefferson, Fort Atkinson, Baraboo, Reedsburg, Richland Center, Mount Horeb, Monroe, Beaver Dam, Dane County, Rock County, Green County, Iowa County, Richland County, Sauk County, Columbia County, Dodge County and Jefferson County.